Thursday 9 February 2012

Lowry in 2012

I mentioned in one of my previous posts that I'm a bit of a philistine when it comes to art.

I do know however, what I like and what I don't like and I can (if pushed) recognise a Rembrandt from a Rubens.

What does this have to do with photography I hear you ask?

Well last week, as recounted in the post before this one, I was doing a photographic tour in the French part of Switzerland. One of my ports of call was the Geneva ice rink. My brief was to show how Regent's lighting system illuminated the rink. 

At first I shot from the first row of public seating to concentrate mainly on the folks enjoying themselves on the ice.

 Canon EOS5dMKII
1/10sec @f9 400 ISO

Then I went farther back. Right to the top of the stand to get the whole of the rink plus the lighting system. 

 
Canon EOS5dMKII
1/10sec @f9 400 ISO

Later when I was reviewing the images back at the hotel, the image that presented itself on my laptop display reminded me of a famous painting by the Lancashire artist L.S.Lowry.

The figures on the ice rink photo seem to have a "Lowryesque" look about them. A quick search on the Northern School of British artists website showed me the painting I was thinking of.



L.S.Lowry "Going to work"

I also seemed to remember that there was a song in the British hit parade which celebrated the life and times of Lowry. I couldn't however, remember anything about it. A quick Facebook message to my cousin Gary in the UK supplied me with the info I needed. He has an encyclopaedic knowledge of pop music and gave me the answer within seconds.

Thanks Gary






Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs by Brian and Michael 
No.1 on 8th April 1978 for 3 weeks


Funny how the last post I did about art was also inspired by my doing a photoshoot in the French part of Switzerland. You can read more about L.S.Lowry by going here.

Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment